<< Back to: ICLEI e-News | issue 13, September 2008
Manager, Cities GHG Center
Application Deadline 10 October 2008
Join ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability!
ICLEI is a worldwide association of more than 950 metropolitan regions, cities, towns, counties and municipal associations in 67 countries that are dedicated to implementing sustainable development.
We run the international Cities for Climate Protection (CCP) Campaign and have worked with hundreds of cities worldwide on local climate actions plans for systematic reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. We engage in climate advocacy for local governments and support the World Mayors Council on Climate Change (WMCCC) by serving as its secretariat. We lead the Local Government Climate Roadmap process in cooperation with UCLG, Metropolis, C40 and WMCCC.
We work in a highly multicultural environment and in a truly global fashion with partners around the globe.We are seeking highly experienced and motivated candidates for the position of:
Manager, Cities GHG Center
(Global Cities Climate Mitigation Management and CDM Support Center)
The Manager, Cities GHG Center will be part of an international team that ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability establishes at its new program office in Bonn, Germany. Bonn is the seat of the United Nations Climate Change Secretariat.
ICLEI builds the Cities GHG Center with support from the City of Bonn and the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) and in cooperation with a number of partners. The Center will advise local governments on greenhouse gas (GHG) measurement, inventory, monitoring, reporting and forecast methods, software, standards and protocol; offer online data collection, processing and global reporting services; collect cities’ GHG reports; advise on calculation and verification methods of the GHG reduction potential of projects; assist local governments with the preparation of CDM projects.
- Lead the development of the Center
- Develop business plan and management structure for the Center
- Build and maintain relations to strategic partners in the governmental, business, NGO and expert sectors
- Identify institutions and companies as supporting partners
- Raise funds, promote the Center to cities and partners
- Lead consultation and coordination processes internally and with external partners
- Establish service relationship with cities globally
- Acquire grants and service contracts
- Build and manage team as resources become available
- Manage Center’s budget and activities
- Manage governing and advisory boards
Represent and promote Center
- Produce reports, briefing papers, articles and speeches
- Give presentations on the Center’s work
- Degree / postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject such as Civil / Environmental Engineering or Business Economy
- Minimum of ten years working experience in at least three positions, at least two of them outside of the academic sector and at least one of them in a business environment
Knowledge and Experience
- Deep knowledge of urban systems, infrastructure and technologies, and of energy flows
- Very good knowledge of the instruments under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, especially CDM
- Familiarity with performance indicators, benchmarking, monitoring and reporting
- Proven experience in business development and resourcing
- Experience from working in a business environment
- Familiarity with the Local Government sector is an asset
Abilities and Skills
- Pro-active, entrepreneurial attitude
- Organized working style; ability to work independently
- Proven management skills
- Analytical mind
- Skilled negotiator
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and fluency in at least one other language relevant to ICLEI’s work
Terms and conditions
The full-time position is available from January 2009, pending confirmation of funding by the funder. It will be based in Bonn, Germany.
International travel will be required. Communication with partners around the world may require work during unusual hours.
The Manager, Cities GHG Center reports directly to the Secretary General. A competitive salary will be offered.
Send fax or email job application including:
- letter of motivation
- detailed CV with photo
- documents illustrating previous experience
- indication of salary expectation
- indication of citizenship, and if non-EU, if holder of a work permit for Germany indication of availability date
Send by 10 October 2008 to:
ICLEI World Secretariat
Attn. Maria Patá
Telefax +1-416 / 392-1478
Reference (in subject line): “ Manager, Cities GHG Center”
Telephone interviews will take place on 16-17 October, face-to-face interviews from 20-24 October 2008.
Download a PDF of this job description