<< Back to: ICLEI e-News | issue 13, September 2008
Director, Business Relations
Application deadline 07 October 2008
Join ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability!
ICLEI is a worldwide association of more than 950 metropolitan regions, cities, towns, counties and municipal associations in 67 countries that are dedicated to implementing sustainable development.
We build and maintain strategic partnerships with responsible companies and international business organizations. We foster city-to-business dialogues on sustainable solutions to urban challenges. We forge partnerships and alliances to drive innovation and forward-looking initiatives.
We work in a highly multicultural environment and in a truly global fashion with partners around the globe. We are seeking highly talented and motivated candidates for the position of
Director, Business Relations
The Director Business Relations will be part of an international team that ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability establishes at its new program office in Bonn, Germany.
Relations to the Business Sector
- Build and foster ICLEI’s relations with companies, business associations and economic fora
- Lead and coordinate ICLEI’s approaches and relations to the business sector internationally
- Profile and promote ICLEI vis-à-vis business partners
- Address business media and fora
- Represent ICLEI at meetings and events of the business sector
- Lead the preparations and implementation of dialogues on products and services between municipal decision-makers and businesses
- Develop and arrange partnership programs between local governments and companies aimed to advance sustainable urban infrastructure solutions
- Mobilize financial resources for these programs
- Produce corporate presentation materials
- Prepare ICLEI’s annual business report
- Degree / postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject such as Business Administration, Economy, Communication, Political Science, or similar
- Minimum of eight years professional experience in a business environment; in at least one position relevant to business relations
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in working in or with the business sector
- Knowledge in the areas of environment, cities and urban infrastructure
- Understanding of local governments and their political and operating environment
- Proven experience corporate sponsorship recruitment
Abilities and Skills
- Creative and pro-active attitude
- Organized working style; ability to work independently
- Professional appearance
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent messenger: ability to communicate ICLEI and its mission to the business world
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and fluency in at least one other language relevant to ICLEI’s work
Terms and conditions
The full-time position is available from November 2008, pending confirmation of funding by the funder. It will be based in Bonn, Germany. International travel will be required.
Communication with partners around the world may require work during unusual hours. The Director Business Relations reports directly to the Secretary General. A competitive salary will be offered.
Send fax or email job application including:
- letter of motivation
- detailed CV with photo
- documents illustrating previous experience
- indication of salary expectation
- indication of citizenship, and if non-EU, if holder of a work permit for Germany
- indication of availability date
Send by by 07 October 2008 to:
ICLEI World Secretariat
Attn. Maria Patá
Telefax +1-416 / 392-1478
Reference (in subject line): “Director Business Relations”
Telephone interviews will take place on 16-17 October, face-to-face interviews from 20-24 October 2008.
Download a PDF of this job description