<< Back to: ICLEI e-News | issue 13, September 2008
Global Administrator (Membership, Governance, Operations)
Application Deadline 30 September 2008
Join ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability!
ICLEI is a worldwide association of more than 950 metropolitan regions, cities, towns, counties and municipal associations in 67 countries that are dedicated to implementing sustainable development. It is democratically governed by its membership.
We function as an association of local governments, a movement of cities towards sustainability, and an environmental and sustainable development agency for local governments. We are in a transition towards a new type of non-for-profit business focused organization.
We run campaigns and programs, provide information, training and advice to local governments, and carry out advocacy vis-à-vis governments and UN organizations.
We work in a highly multicultural environment and in a truly global fashion with partners around the globe. We maintain regional and country offices for Africa, Europe, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, Canada, Japan, Korea, Mexico and the USA. These are managed through 12 affiliated corporations. The organization has 200 staff worldwide.
Who we seek
We are seeking experienced and motivated candidates for the position of
Global Administrator (Membership, Governance and Operations). The Global Administrator will be part of an international team that ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability establishes at its new program office in Bonn, Germany.
The Global Administrator, an excellent corporate administrator with solid professional knowledge and experience, ensures consistent and efficient policies and procedures throughout the organization. The GA will ensure that ICLEI’s international administrative and governance systems are both effective and efficient.
- Maintain and further develop membership policies
- Lead international membership administration team consisting of membership administrators of regional secretariats and country offices
- Maintain global membership database; process membership applications globally; administer membership in regions lacking administrative capacity
- Administer memberships of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change and Global Alliance for EcoMobility as a service.
- Maintain and further develop organizational policies; oversee implementation and compliance
- Support regional managers in applying good corporate governance and Board management
- Manage processes of review and revision of governance documents (Charter, By-Laws etc.)
- Manage Board Meetings of ICLEI affiliated corporations
- Schedule, prepare and manage meetings incl. meeting documents and minutes for ICLEI Council, Executive Committee, Management Committee and Advisory Council
- Manage Executive Committee election and Management Committee appointment processes
- Maintain and update ICLEI’s Policy & Procedures Manual
- Organize and coordinate use of Intranet as central information & communication tool
- Review and prepare employment and service contracts and funding agreements
- Interface to organization’s legal counsel
- Degree in a relevant subject such as Public Administration, Business Administration, Corporate Administration, Law, or similar
- Minimum of eight years working experience in at least two administrative positions, at least one of them outside the academic sector.
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven track record in creating, maintaining and overseeing compliance with: policies, procedures, systems and tools for streamlined operations
- Proven experience in
- organizational administration and governance in a complex organization, ideally with headquarters and affiliates;
- legal matters (esp. employment, contract and organizational governance matters);
- office management;
- international working environment,
- coordinating various actors.
Abilities and Skills
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and fluency in at least one other language relevant to ICLEI’s work
Terms and conditions
The full-time position is available from November 2008 and based in Bonn, Germany. International travel is required. Communication with partners around the world may require work during unusual hours.
The Global Administrator reports directly to the Secretary General. S/he will be part-time supported by the Resource and Support Officer. A competitive salary will be offered.
This position will be filled subject to confirmation of funding by the funder.
Send fax or email job application including:
- letter of motivation
- detailed CV with photo
- documents illustrating previous experience
- indication of salary expectation
- indication of citizenship, and if non-EU, if holder of a work permit for Germany
- indication of availability date
Send by 30 September 2008 to:
ICLEI World Secretariat Download a PDF of this job description
Attn. Maria Patá
Telefax +1-416 / 392-1478
Reference (in subject line): “Global Administrator”
Telephone interviews will take place on 16-17 October, face-to-face interviews from 20-24 October 2008.