<< Back to: ICLEI e-News | issue 11, December 2007 - January 2008
ICLEI South Asia launches the GOF Project
The ICLEI South Asia Secretariat has initiated the GOF programme on the reduction of carbon emissions with support from the British High Commission.
ICLEI initiated the GOF programme, on carbon emission reduction through city level local action plans, by integrating renewable energy and energy efficiency measures into city activities with the support of British High Commission. The GOF programme will help selected cities with comprehensive city action plans to reduce carbon emissions and achieve energy efficiency in selected two cities.
Through the proposed project activities, ICLEI will create a comprehensive city action plan to reduce carbon emission and achieve energy conservation. The project will bring strong movement around energy efficiency and climate mitigation of selected two Indian cities.
It will work closely with local institutions in an effort to develop local initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and improve air quality through increased energy efficiency and renewable energy.The project will help to build capacity of local authorities,relevent officials about locally available renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
Through the GOF programme, ICLEI will bring:
Two more cities will be selected in the second phase of the project.
For more information on the project, please contact the ICLEI South Asia Secretariat at email@example.com.
- energy efficiency and renewable energy measures in city activities to reduce carbon emissions;
- assessment of cities energy consumption data, preparation of carbon emission inventories and creating a database that can be used by cities for comparison of data;
- developing needs-based local action plans for integrating renewable energy and energy efficiency in the cities’ activities under local authorities;
- organizing training programmes and awareness workshops with eminent experts, and the review of action plans with city officials, government and non-government organizations;
- technical know-how assistance by a pool of experts in designing energy strategies at the local level to participating stakeholders, and assistance in providing technical support for ground level implementation; and
- organizing workshops and developing a knowledge sharing network.