<< Back to: ICLEI e-News | issue 8, June - July 2007
US publication picks the top 15 green leaders
Grist Magazine, an environmental news service from the U.S.A., picked what it considerd to be the top 15 politicians – from mayors to heads of state – that are environmental leaders.
The article can be found here at http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2007/06/26/politicians/
The leaders, in order, were:
1. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California, U.S.A.
2. Wangari Maathai, Member of Parliament, Kenya and 2004 Nobel Peace Prize Winner
3. Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London, U.K.
4. Helen Clark, Prime Minister of New Zealand
5. Marina Silva, Environment Minister of Brazil
6. David Cameron, Leader of the Conservative Party, U.K.
7. Peter Garrett, Member of the House of Representatives, Australia
8. Greg Nickels, Mayor of Seatlle, Washington, U.S.A.
9. Margot Wallström, Vice President, European Commission
10. Stephane Dion, Leader of the Liberal Party, Canada
11. Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
12. Barbara Boxer, Chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works Cttee, U.S.A.
13. Xie Zhenhua, Vice Minister of State Development and Reform, China
14. Stavros Dimas, Commissioner for the Environment, European Union
15. Rocky Anderson, Mayor of Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
ICLEI would be interested to know who you would select as your top 15; let us know at Tanya.email@example.com.