<< Back to: Member News: ICLEI e-News | issue 8, June - July 2007
Gyeonggi has a vision for its future
August 28, 2007
The Province of Gyeonggi (Korea) has established a vision for its future.
Elements of this vision include:
- Increase the share of railroad transportation to 40 percent;
- Improve public transportation by expanding the Megalopolis public transportation route;
- Increase the Megalopolis late night bus route to a 24-hour service, and extend the operating hours to 2:00 (2am) for subways;
- Improve the quality of water in Provincial streams, so children can play safely there;
- Reduce pollution levels;
- Plant one billion trees by 2012;
- Bring quality education to farming villages; and
- Increase the participation rate of women in economic activities from 47.9 percent to 54 percent.
Gyeonggi is one of 32 local governments in Korea that are currently Members of ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability.
Source: “Gyeonggi Vision 2006”, Welcome to Gyeonggi Province”, at english.gg.go.kr.