<< Back to: Member News: ICLEI e-News | issue 8, June - July 2007
Angers planning its growth sustainably
May 30, 2007
The commitments of Angers (France) to sustainable development are reflected in its current policies, and through its growth strategy.
Some of the sustainable development practices that the city has already successfully implemented have resulted in:
- 630 hectares of parks, averaging out to 42 square metres per resident;
- the planting of 15,000 roadside trees (190 species) and 415,000 bedding plants;
- the running of an Environment Centre that demonstrates environmental projects and resources over the past 10 years;
- the separation of household waste: 3,500 tonnes of glass, paper, plastic and metal are collected and recycled every year; and
- the city fleet includes 119 council vehicles that run on liquid petroleum gas, seven electric vehicles, and three electric scooters.
The city’s vision for future growth, called ‘Angers 2015: projet de ville, projet de vie’, encompasses three priorities: a green city, a city connected to its waterways, and a city that will grow sustainably.
The public is encouraged to be actively engaged in the development of Angers 2015, through a website (www.angers.fr/angers-21/les-grands-projets), and through public forums and exhibitions.
ICLEI’s Local Agenda 21 (LA21) Campaign promotes a participatory, long-term, strategic planning process that supports local governance by identifying local sustainability priorities and mobilizing local governments and their citizens to implement long-term action plans that address these sustainable priorities. Using the LA21 approach of participatory sustainable development planning, ICLEI aims to assist local authorities to move beyond general sustainable development planning and to apply this approach in tackling areas of priority concern. For more information, please visit www.iclei.org/la21.
Angers is one of 166 local governments in Europe that are currently Members of ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability. For more information on ICLEI and its activities in Europe, please visit www.iclei.org/europe.
Source: "Angers 2015: projet de ville, projet de vie" at www.angers.fr